Friday 29 January 2010

The Blog That Came In From The Cold

Bah.

Updating a blog after any extended length of time is like trying to jump onto a ship that’s pulling away from a dock: both look better in films, and both get significantly harder the longer you leave it.

How do you adequately summarise the past 13-14 months (plus some) into the space of a blog? I don’t know if I can. Not at the moment. So anyway…

Happy New Year! It’s 2010! I’m still in England! I (kind of) have a job! All twenty digits work, and my nation hasn’t collapsed under oppressive government regimes, bin-men strikes, natural disasters, and/or ill-advised and legally-suspect foreign military operations, which all in all makes this year look pretty good from the outset. Things can only go downhill! Here I am again, a year older and a year wis – er, no, just older. Resolution for 2010 is to get farking motivated to do some more writing, which, after a few very good conversations, has been pointed out to me to be the only way to get any better at it and maybe even possibly making some money at it. Well, that’s the plan at any rate; fours weeks in, and this is the extent of it.

Writing in 2009 consisted of (roughly): 63 emails, 27 shopping lists, a half-dozen false starts to poems, about 140 Facebook status updates, three aborted blog entries, three haphazard notebook entries which might have led to some stories but led instead to the illuminating claim that I can tell a hawk from a handsaw when the wind is southerly and the weather's clear (ahem), and 73 job applications.

And as much as I would love to promise that this is The New Beginning, a taste of things to come, a “re-genesis” if you will, I’m still only temping and the possibility of needing to fill out yet more job applications and thus removing just about all reason to live is always at hand. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word got put off in order to do job applications.

The word word word, the word was deferred.

What happens to a Word deferred? Does it explode? Dunno. Hasn’t yet.

Words. Words. They’re all we have to go on.

Words, words, words. What do I read, my lord? Oh, loads.

But that’s a different post.

-TA-->

Currently listening to: ‘Stay Positive’ by The Hold Steady
Currently reading: ‘Dubliners’ by James Joyce


Iain, Bob, me, and the Tardis in Glasgow; 30 December, 2009.

No comments: